What is Gold Filled Jewelry vs Gold Plate?
Solid gold is very expensive and is in the most expensive of jewelry you can buy. Most jewelry companies work with gold filled and gold plated. So what are you buying and what is the difference between the 3 types of gold?
- Solid gold is very valuable and can be melted down, remade or sold so you can always get your money back and maybe even make money.
- It involves bonding of 14k gold with heat to make a high quality durable jewelry product.
- Gold filled pieces have 100 times more gold than plated pieces.
- A very durable type of jewelry but may wear off with heavy use or dirty conditions.
- There are different types of gold plate, some better than others.
- When you see the term gold plate over 925 silver or Vermeil gold plate, this means that you have a thick layer of gold bonded over sterling silver which makes your piece very durable and the sterling silver has a value.
What do we use?
- We use14k gold filled chain in all of our necklace and gold filled components so your piece is durable and will last.
- Our charms are either 14k gold filled, vermeil gold plate over silver or standard gold plate. Check the listings for details on your necklace.
Why do we use gold filled?
- Gold filled will not rub off or discolor under normal wear, it has the same look as solid gold but is much more affordable. That's why our pieces look great and the costs are low otherwise we could not afford to sell to you at the prices we have now.
- Gold filled is a harder surface than solid gold. It is not recommended you wear a solid gold piece everyday because it is soft and not very durable.
Gold filled is also good for people with metal allergies as it should not cause allergic reactions.
So it's a win-win with us! Affordable, high quality jewelry we bring to you!
At the bottom of the page, if you Subscribe to our site, you will receive the Monthly Shop Discount and deal! Be the first to see New Jewelry!
and be entered into our Annual Birthday Party Giveaway on September 1st!
HAPPY SHOPPING! A & R
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.